Thursday, May 6, 2010

Mental unload

For whatever reason, I can't think of a cohesive theme to today's post (and it'll be a big change because they are usually so plot driven and rich in subtext). What we're going to end up with is a stream of consciousness type thing--a mental dump, if you will.

First of all, a recent engineering feat using 'green energy' for something useful, for once (please don't send me your hate via comments/email--I'm mostly kidding--I'm just bitter that people tend to leave out nuclear energy when they're talking about non-carbon emitting forms of energy). Check it:

Wind Powered Knitting Machine from Frankie Thom on Vimeo.

It's a wind powered knitting machine. Sweet! The article's a few days old, but that doesn't detract from it's awesomeness in any way. Apparently it can only do scarves, but the length of said scarf is only limited by how much yarn you feed into it. I know what I want for my birthday!

--------------------------


I went to my LYS yesterday and did the deed:


That's right. 300 g of 100% RY Classic Yarn cottony goodness for the sleeveless cowl test. I swatched it up on US9, 10, and 11 sized needles. Then I concluded that I needed size 10 & 1/2 (which of course I didn't own). Went to other LYS to get the needles. I'm trying to spread the love around.

--------------------------


SO MUCH STOCKINETTE AND GARTER STITCH. I needed to get that off my chest. I feel like I'm a kid on a long car trip--"Are we there yet? How much longer? I NEED TO PEE!!" I can't believe I decided to make a [WORD REDACTED IN CASE FRIEND IS READING] for my friend's wedding. But I have a hard deadline. Blurg.

--------------------------


I really want to finish a swatch for my still ongoing "which cast-on/bind-off is the stretchiest for ribbing" test, but after my love affair with the tubular cast-on, I can't seem to bring myself to do it's counterpart--the dreaded Kitchener's bind-off. I'm pretty sure that I can't write the tutorial up without a plethora of obscenities. Maybe I'll offer a 'clean' and 'uncensored' version to spare those with delicate sensibilities.

--------------------------


My copilot made me an awesome new banner. He only had the advice of "something knitting-y, and something engineering-y, like some gears or something". I think he worked quite well with that poor guidance. Thanks luv!

6 comments:

  1. Yarn:gorgeous
    Tubular cast-on: on my "to learn" list. Thanks for the tuturial
    Banner: excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the knitting machine. I saw a sock knitting machine with a crank handle that was very similar. Amazing. Thanks for the tutorial for tubular cast on. I have never seen it before. Love the banner.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That knitting machine was crazy.

    Love the new banner. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The wind powered knitting machine is pretty neat!! So is the new banner!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved the knitting machine video. I felt like I was watching the opening scene to a psycho movie or something. The banner is good. Very good...and the yammering, not bad either.

    ReplyDelete