Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Infinite test swatch deux

So, I made a two color infinite test swatch. And...well, see for yourself:


Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. I almost didn't want to tell you about it. First, the colors are horrible, I know. I know. I was trying to use up some scraps. I'm trying not to let that "color" my opinion (see what I did there?). But the cables still aren't doing what I want them to. Let's go in for a closer look:


I don't want it to look like cabling, I want it to look like a woven basket. Here's the rub-I don't know if the cables are strained because 4 stitches are kind of a lot to exchange and expect the tension not to show, or if it's just my lousy two-color work. Since I was just making a small swatch, I had to use double pointed needles. Kids, don't try this at home. I did a horrible job maintaining the tension of my floats. If this was a Project Runway challenge, Tim Gunn would have come over to my station, put on his concerned face, and note that "There's a LOT going on here." Well I'm sorry Tim, when you've got five needles and two strands of yarn in play, it's hard to keep track of what the hell is going on. I think I need to make a bigger swatch, one were I can use circular needles and not pull the floats ridiculously tight half of the time. Or maybe I need a different strategy. Or both. Argh, this flies in the face of my swatch making sensibilities (i.e. I hate making them). And why is Luke Wilson all bloated and pushing AT&T? Why am I out of Diet Coke?? WHY MUST EVERYTHING BE SUCH A STRUGGLE??!

It's not all bad though, now that I think of it. On our way back to the office after lunch, we had to walk through the 'protest quad' - people schlepping everything from petitions to save endangered sea slime to seeking new members for their religion, the Church of Oprah Winfrey. But today, there was a girl with no agenda to push but chocolate cupcakes for 50 cents. I was in the "we don't want any" zone and almost passed it up. Best 50 cents I've spent in quite a while. I was a little worried that being Berkeley, they might be "special" cupcakes, but I figure, hey, it's just more bang for my half-buck.

No comments:

Post a Comment