Monday, March 8, 2010

Working hard

You've all done it, don't judge. You're desperately trying to focus on a comparative study of radiation damage accumulation in copper and iron, and all you can think about is the fact that you haven't been able find your size 4, 29" circular needle and you need it to continue work on your sweater tonight. OK, maybe not exactly that situation, but some permutation of trying to work that ends in online shopping. I'm just trying to do my part to prop up the economy. Of course, one has to factor in all that time working that was lost--but since I'm a graduate student, I'm sure that there's zero impact on that front anyway. Liz Lemon and Jack Donaghy have covered this topic before...


"Graduate students are the worst people."



But I digress. I'm all about supporting my local yarn shop (LYS), but I'm away from my home base, working on a project in Berkeley, CA. Trying to drive/find parking here...takes patience, shall we say, so I resorted to searching Amazon.com. A close friend of mine works for Amazon, so I validate supporting the corporate giant by imagining that I'm supporting him personally. The first item Amazon suggested was this bad boy by Oriental Touch:



That's 14 sets of bamboo goodness for $25 right there. Now, one could conclude that for such a screaming deal, the needles must be gnarled twigs for someone's front lawn, or maybe just vessels for splinters to migrate into soft flesh. Always a sucker for a bargain, I'm going to find out! Oh, and I also ordered the circular needle that I need. The multi-pack double-pointed needle purchase could be classified in the same category as grabbing a Hershey bar and a Cosmo in the checkout line.

No comments:

Post a Comment